Registering land or property with HM Land Registry

Skip to contents of guide

When you must register

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You must register all land or property with HM Land Registry if you’ve:

  • bought it
  • been given it
  • inherited it
  • received it in exchange for other property or land
  • mortgaged the property

You do not usually need to register leasehold land or property if there are 7 years or less on the lease when you take ownership.

You must register your land with the Rural Land Register as well as HM Land Registry if you own agricultural land.

Your property might not be registered if you owned it before 1990 and have not mortgaged it since. Check if your property’s registered.

Once you’re registered

Information about your property will be available to the public from HM Land Registry, including:

  • the names of the owners
  • a plan of the property’s ‘general’ boundaries - the plan will not show where the exact legal boundaries are

You cannot opt out of your property information being publicly available.

If you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland

HM Land Registry only deals with land and property in England and Wales.


Register your land or property with Registers of Scotland.

Northern Ireland

Register your land or property with Land and Property Services.