When someone dies with no will or known family, their property passes to the Crown as ownerless property (or ‘bona vacantia’). It can be any kind of property, like buildings, money or personal possessions.

You could be entitled to a share of a deceased relative’s property (‘estate’) if you’re a relative.

How to claim

  1. Check if the estate is listed with the Crown.

  2. Make sure you’re an entitled relative.

  3. Make a claim on the estate.

If an estate is not listed, you can tell the Crown about an estate you think is unclaimed.

If you’re not a relative

You can apply for a grant from the estate if you think you may be entitled to a share of a deceased person’s estate (for example if you lived together or you cared for them).