Make a claim on an estate

If you think you’re entitled to an estate in England and Wales (but not Cornwall or Lancashire):

  1. Find the estate.

  2. Make sure you’re an entitled relative.

  3. Make a claim on the estate.

In the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster, Scotland or Northern Ireland

Contact the relevant body representing the Crown.

Evidence you need

You’ll be asked to send a family tree showing your relationship and 2 pieces of identification:

  • one showing your name
  • one showing your name and address, dated within the last 3 months

You might also be asked to send birth, death or marriage certificates.