Statistical data set

Unclaimed estates list

A list of unclaimed estates held by the Treasury Solicitor. Last updated 5 February 2016.

The Division publishes a list of unclaimed estates which have been recently referred, but not yet administered, and historic cases which have not yet been claimed.

The list

The list is published in a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file format. This acts like a spreadsheet and although it can be opened in any text editor it is is best viewed in a spreadsheet application, such as Microsoft Excel, Google Docs or OpenOffice Calc.

If you are looking for a particular estate you can search by using Ctrl-F in your browser, text editor or spreadsheet application.

Unclaimed estates list (CSV, 2.09MB)

The list is updated every working day and newly advertised estates appear at the top of the list. After one day of publication, new estates drop into the rest of the list in alphabetical order.

Any estates where the the Bona Vacantia division (BVD) no longer has an interest, for example, when a claim to an estate has been admitted, will be removed daily.

BVD provides as much genealogical information as it holds on its files, subject to its obligations under the Data Protection Act and any other legal requirements. If a field is blank then BVD either do not hold the information or it may be held in paper files stored off-site (historic cases). BVD are currently working to update the historic estates on the list with information that may be held on their paper files.

Claiming an Estate


If you are holding a Will for the deceased, then the executor should send a certified copy of the original Will to the BVD together with two forms of ID (see a list of acceptable ID documents at the end of this guide).

Alternatively, if Probate has been granted to the will, please send the original or a court sealed copy of the grant of probate.

Entitled Relatives

BVD cannot tell you if you are related to any person whose estate appears on the list. It is the responsibility of claimants to identify their relationship to the deceased and then to submit documentary evidence, including ID documents, to prove that relationship.

Further information can be found in the guide on how to Make a claim to a deceased person’s estate

However, if you believe you have an entitlement to share in one of the estates on the list then please email with a simple family tree which shows how you are related to the deceased and provide the deceased’s name, date of death and our case reference number in your e-mail.

Alternatively, you can write to BVD with the information at

Bona Vacantia - Estates

Government Legal Department
PO Box 70165

BVD aim to contact you within 20 working days to confirm what documentary evidence you will need to supply in order for us to deal with your claim.

You should always provide BVD with the BV reference number when you contact them about an estate on the list.


Please note: The list cannot be guaranteed to be complete and correct and no warranties are given or implied to that effect. Copies of the list held on other sources or provided by third parties other than the Treasury Solicitor cannot be guaranteed to be accurate or up-to-date. The Treasury Solicitor does not accept any responsibility for any loss whatsoever which might result from reliance thereon.

Identity documents

You must submit one form of identification as proof of your name and one as proof of your name linked to your address.

You cannot use one form of identification for both name and address. For example, if you provide your driving licence as proof of your name you must provide another form of identification for your address, such as a utility bill.

Documents BVD will accept as evidence of formal identification

Name Address
Current signed passport Utility bill (gas, electric, satellite television, landline phone bill) issued within the last three months
Original birth certificate (issued within 12 months of the date of birth) in full or short form including those issued by UK authorities overseas such as Embassies High Commissions and HM Forces) Water bill issued for the current financial year
EEA member state identity card Local authority council tax bill for the current council tax year
Current UK or EEA photocard driving licence EEA member state identity card
Full old-style driving licence. Current UK or EEA photocard driving licence
Photographic registration cards for self-employed individuals in the construction industry - CIS4 Original mortgage statement from a recognised lender issued for the last full year
Confirmation from DWP of state benefits issued within the current year Solicitor’s letter confirming recent (within previous three months) house purchase or current Land Registry title view
Firearms or shotgun certificate Council or housing association rent card/statement or tenancy agreement for the current financial year
Residence permit issued by the Home Office to EEA nationals on sight of own country’s passport Confirmation from DWP of state benefits issued within the current year
Medical card or letter of confirmation from GP’s practice of registration with the surgery Bank, Building Society or Credit Union statement (dated within the last three months) or passbook.
  HMRC self-assessment letters or tax demands dated within the current financial year
  Medical card or letter of confirmation from GP’s practice of registration with the surgery

Documents BVD will not accept include, but are not limited to

  • Provisional driving licence
  • Mobile phone bills
  • Credit or store card statements

Copies of documents

BVD will only accept good quality copies of certificates and identification documents if they have been certified by one of the following as a true copy of the original that they have seen:

  • UK solicitor
  • Justice of the Peace
  • accountant
  • high street bank manager
  • a qualified lawyer (or notary public if you live outside the United Kingdom)
  • the Post Office’s ID checking service (in which case, please also include the completed ID Checking Service form which has been stamped by the Post Office)

The person certifying must also provide the name and address of the firm or bank in which they are employed (unless documents have been certified under the Post Office ID Checking Service).