Claim or refer an unclaimed estate

Skip to contents of guide

Grants from a deceased person's estate

You can apply for a grant from a deceased person’s estate if you could have expected to benefit from it. This could be where you:

  • provided the person with free services like washing, cleaning, cooking, shopping, home repairs or care where they might otherwise have had to pay
  • lived together with the person (as their partner or as a friend) but were not married
  • represent a charity or other body that cared for the person at considerable expense

You don’t have to be related to the person to apply.

How to apply

In England and Wales (but not Cornwall or Lancashire) apply to the Government Legal Department.

Contact the Government Legal Department stating that you’re claiming a ‘discretionary grant’, including as much supporting information as possible.

Government Legal Department
Bona Vacantia Division (BVD)
PO Box 70165

Government Legal Department
Telephone: 0207 210 4700
Fax: 0207 210 3104
Find out about call charges

In Cornwall, Lancashire, Scotland or Northern Ireland, apply to the relevant body representing the Crown.