Who to contact

The Government Legal Department handles bona vacantia in England and Wales (except in the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster).

There’s a list of unclaimed estates published by the Government Legal Department.

Adverts and claims

The Government Legal Department advertises to find entitled relatives. If you reply to an advert, you have to prove your relationship with the deceased, for example with a birth, marriage or death certificate.

Other bodies that represent the Crown

Elsewhere, bona vacantia is dealt with by:

Crown Solicitor’s Office for Northern Ireland
Telephone: 028 9054 6037
Find out about call charges