4. Update or correct the register
You must tell HM Land Registry if anything in the register changes or it is incorrect.
Update or correct contact addresses
You can register up to 3 addresses (including email and non-UK addresses) with HM Land Registry for each property.
To change your contact details or those of other owners or agents send a request to update registered owners’ contact address.
Change your name
You must send HM Land Registry an application to change the register when you change your name. How you do this depends on which documents you have that prove it’s changed.
You’ll get back any official certificates you send in after the register has been updated.
Use application form AP1 if you have any of the following documents:
- an official or certified copy of a certificate showing the name change, such as a marriage or civil partnership certificate
- a copy of a deed poll
- a statement of truth
- a statutory declaration sworn before someone able to take oaths
You must also send additional proof if you’re not sending a certificate or using a conveyancer (for example a solicitor). When you send from AP1, include both:
- a filled-in confirmation of identity form in your new name
- a copy of an official document in your former name, such as a passport, driving licence or utility bill
Use application form CNG if you have any of the following documents:
- a gender recognition certificate
- a new birth certificate (if you’ve changed your gender)
- a letter from a UK-based medical practitioner (such as a doctor) confirming you’ve changed gender
Send the completed form and one of the documents to the address on the form. You must send original documents, not copies.
Returning to your original surname
To return to your original surname after a divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership send HM Land Registry:
- application form AP1
- a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate
HM Land Registry will let you know if they need more information.
Stop your previous name being seen on old documents
Your previous name will still appear on any documents that were filed with HM Land Registry before you changed your name.
You must tell HM Land Registry if a mortgage on a registered property is paid off (‘discharged’).
Usually your mortgage lender will do this for you automatically but they may send you a completed ‘cancellation of charges’ form.
Once you have this, fill in an application to ‘cancel entries relating to a charge’ and a confirmation of identity form.
Send all forms to the Citizen Centre.
HM Land Registry will update your details and tell you that the register has been updated.
Transfer ownership of your property if you’ve:
- sold it
- divorced or separated and want to remove an owner
- married and want to add an owner
- given the property away
Send your requests
Send completed forms to the HM Land Registry Citizen Centre.
HM Land Registry
PO Box 74
If you’re sending a gender recognition certificate, write “Private and confidential” on the envelope.