There is no British Embassy in Maldives. The British High Commission in Sri Lanka develops and maintains relations between the UK and Maldives.

We deal with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and Sri Lanka and Maldives. There is no British diplomatic mission in Maldives. All assistance to Maldives is provided by the British High Commission in Colombo. The High Commission in Colombo provides consular assistance to British nationals in both Sri Lanka and Maldives. An Honorary Consul in the capital, Malé, liaises with the British High Commission in Colombo on emergency consular matters.

Find out more on our UK and Maldives news page. We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting Maldives. You can access UK government services while in the Maldives.

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Maldives and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +94 11 5390639. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British national in Maldives, call 020 7008 1500.

Get an emergency travel document

How to renew or replace your British passport if you live outside the UK and information on getting replacement travel documents if your passport is lost or stolen.

If you are travelling urgently and your passport is not available, you may be able to apply for an emergency travel document (ETD).

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Apply online for an emergency travel document

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

If your passport has been lost you will need a police report and English translation before an ETD can be issued.

You must book an appointment to apply for an ETD, please click here.

Other consular services

Notarial and documentary services

The British High Commission does not provide any notarial services and recommends that you check the lawyers list or seek advice from a local notary public.

Consular fees

We charge for some services. See details of our current consular fees in Maldives.

Our people

James Dauris

James Dauris

British Ambassador to Maldives

  • Tom Burn

    Deputy Head of Mission to Sri Lanka and Maldives

Contact us

British High Commission

389, Bauddhaloka Mw, Colombo 7
Sri Lanka

Access and opening times