If you or your parents were born in the UK, you might automatically be a British citizen.
Check if you’re a British citizen based on whether you were:
- born in the UK or a British colony before 1 January 1983
- born in the UK between 1 January 1983 and 1 October 2000
- born in the UK between 2 October 2000 and 29 April 2006
- born in the UK on 30 April 2006 onwards
- born outside the UK or are stateless
If you’re not automatically a British citizen, you may still be able to apply to become a British citizen.
Your rights as a British citizen
If you’re a British citizen you can live and work in the UK free of any immigration controls.
You can also apply for a UK passport.