If the person left a will

You can apply for a grant of representation if you’re the ‘executor’ of the will - the person named to deal with the estate.

If more than one executor is named in the will, the probate application form and guidance notes explain what to do.

You should contact your local Probate Registry if either:

  • no executor is named in the will
  • none of the named executors are willing or able to apply

The Probate Registry will explain what you need to do.

An executor doesn’t necessarily get any of the estate.