You must submit your return online unless:
- your business is subject to an insolvency procedure - if you have a Company Voluntary Arrangement or an Individual Voluntary Arrangement you can submit your return online if you want to
- you object to using computers on religious grounds
- you can’t because of your age, a disability or because of where you live, eg you don’t have internet access
Contact HM Revenue and Customs HMRC to find out how to submit your return, eg paper filing, if you can’t submit online.
You can get help with your VAT return or if you don’t understand something about your tax.
Submit your VAT return online
You need a VAT number and a VAT online account. You can then submit your VAT Return using HMRC’s free online service or commercial accounting software.
If you need:
- a VAT number and online account - register for VAT
- an online account - sign up for an online account and select ‘VAT submit returns’
- a VAT number - log in to your online account and apply for a VAT number
HMRC’s free online service
Log in to your VAT online account and complete your VAT Return.
Using accounting software
Most accounting software lets you submit your VAT Return to HMRC directly. This means you won’t have to enter your figures separately in HMRC’s online service.
HMRC has a list of software you can use to submit your VAT Return.
Keep any reference number you receive as proof you’ve sent your return.
Using accountants or agents
You’ll need to authorise them before they can submit your VAT Return. You can do this through your VAT online account.
Find an accountant or a solicitor to help you with your VAT return or tax.
Help with online services
Contact the VAT Online Services Helpdesk if you need any help using VAT online services.