Extend your visa
You can apply to extend your visa if:
- the organisation that endorsed you has not withdrawn its approval
- you can provide evidence that you’re currently working in your expert field - the guidance notes have a full list of acceptable evidence
You should apply before your current visa expires.
How long you can stay
A Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa can be extended for up to 5 years.
How to extend your visa
Read the guidance on the Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa before you apply.
How much you pay to extend your visa depends on your situation.
|Who you’re applying for||Fee|
|You if you’re from Turkey or Macedonia||£553|
Apply in the UK
You can apply online.
You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to switch your visa is successful.
Apply outside the UK
You can apply online for a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa (unless you’re applying from North Korea).
You can also apply at a visa application centre if:
- the UK embassy or consulate accepts Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa applications
- you’ve been given permission to live in the country you’re applying from for at least 6 months
You need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre (to get a biometric residence permit) as part of your application.
You have to collect your biometric residence permit within 10 days of when you said you’d arrive in the UK (even if they actually arrive at a later date).
You may be able to get your visa faster or get other services depending on what country you’re in - check with your visa application centre.
You can not apply online if you’re living in North Korea.
To apply from North Korea you must:
- download the application form and guidance - read the guidance if you need help filling in the form
- read the instructions to find out where to take your completed form
How long it takes
You should get your visa:
- within 8 weeks if you apply online or by post in the UK
- within 3 weeks if you apply outside the UK
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances - such as you have a criminal conviction
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.