Tax when you sell property

Skip to contents of guide

What you pay it on

You may have to pay Capital Gains Tax if you make a profit (‘gain’) when you sell (or ‘dispose of’) property that’s not your home, for example:

  • buy-to-let properties
  • business premises
  • land
  • inherited property

There are different rules if you:

You’ll need to work out your gain to find out whether you need to pay tax.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

When you do not pay

You do not usually need to pay tax on gifts to your husband, wife, civil partner or a charity.

You may get tax relief if the property is a business asset.

If the property was occupied by a dependent relative you may not have to pay. Find out more in the guidance on Private Residence Relief.

If you need to pay

You must report and pay any Capital Gains Tax on most sales of UK property within 60 days.

If you’re selling property belonging to the estate of someone who’s died, you’ll need to include this information when reporting the estate to HMRC.