National Insurance and tax after State Pension age

Skip to contents of guide

Claim back tax or National Insurance

National Insurance refunds

You can claim back any overpaid National Insurance.

Tax refunds

You can claim a tax refund if you’ve:

  • had too much deducted from your pension
  • overpaid through your job

If you complete a tax return, you can also correct mistakes and claim a refund via Self Assessment.

Claiming back tax on savings interest

If you’re on a low income, you may be able to get tax-free interest or get some tax back from interest on your savings.