Age-related tax allowances
Married Couple’s Allowance
You can claim the Married Couple’s Allowance if you’re married or in a civil partnership and at least one partner was born before 6 April 1935. It gets taken off your tax bill - the amount that’s deducted depends on your income.
Maintenance Payments Relief
You can get an allowance to reduce your tax bill for maintenance payments you make to an ex-spouse or civil partner if:
- you or they were born before 6 April 1935
- you’re separated or divorced and you’re making payments under a court order
- the payments are for the maintenance of your ex-partner (as long as they have not re-married or formed a new civil partnership) or your children are under 21
How much you can get
For the 2022 to 2023 tax year Maintenance Payments Relief can reduce your tax bill by the lower of the following:
- £364 - where you make maintenance payments of £3,640 or more a year
- 10% of the money you’ve actually paid - where you make payments of less than £3,640 a year
You cannot claim a tax reduction for any voluntary payments you make.