Where you're travelling from

The rules for bringing your pet cat, dog or ferret into the UK depend on whether you’re coming from:

  • an EU country, or another country the UK accepts pet passports from
  • a listed country
  • an unlisted country - a country the UK does not accept a pet passport from, and one that is not a listed country

Countries the UK accepts pet passports from

As well as all countries in the EU, the UK also accepts pet passports from:

  • Andorra
  • Azores and Madeira
  • Canary Islands
  • French Guiana
  • Gibraltar
  • Greenland and the Faroe Islands
  • Guadeloupe
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Martinique
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • Reunion
  • San Marino
  • Switzerland
  • Vatican City

Listed countries

The listed countries are:

Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Ascension Island, Australia, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Bermuda, BES Islands (Bonair, Saint Eustatius and Saba), Bosnia-Herzegovina, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Curaçao, Falkland Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Montserrat, New Caledonia, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Russian Federation, Saint Maarten, Singapore, St Helena, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Pierre and Miquelon, St Vincent and The Grenadines, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, USA (includes American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the US virgin Islands), Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna.

If you’re travelling from Jamaica, you must have your pet microchipped and vaccinated in a different non-EU listed country or put your pet into quarantine.

There are more rules if you’re entering the UK with a cat from Australia or a cat or dog from Malaysia.

  1. Step 1 Check if you can bring your pet

  2. Step 2 Get your pet microchipped

  3. Step 3 Get your pet vaccinated against rabies

    1. Check the rules about rabies vaccinations

    You must wait for a set period of time after vaccination before you can travel.

    Depending on the country you're travelling from, you might also need to get a blood test.

  4. and Get tapeworm treatment

    If you have a dog, you'll also need to get tapeworm treatment before you travel.

    1. Check the rules about tapeworm treatment
  5. Step 4 Get a pet travel document