Pet passports and other documents

Which pet travel documents you need will depend on where you’re travelling from.

Check if the country you’re travelling from is ‘part 1’ listed, ‘part 2’ listed, or not listed.

You must bring originals of all your pet’s documents, not photocopies.

If you’re travelling from a ‘part 1’ listed country

If you’re travelling to Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) from a ‘part 1’ listed country, you’ll need one of the following:

  • a pet passport issued in a ‘part 1’ listed country

  • an animal health certificate (AHC) issued in Great Britain in the last 4 months

  • a pet passport issued in Great Britain before 1 January 2021

  • a Great Britain pet health certificate issued in the last 10 days

If you’re travelling from a ‘part 2’ listed country or one that’s not listed

You must have a Great Britain pet health certificate issued in the last 10 days. You cannot bring your pet to Great Britain without one.

You’ll need extra documents if you’re entering Great Britain with a cat from Australia or a cat or dog from Malaysia.

Cats from Australia

To bring a cat into Great Britain from Australia, you must have a certificate from the Australian Department of Agriculture confirming your cat has not been exposed to the Hendra virus in the 60 days before you left.

Dogs and cats from Peninsular Malaysia

You must have a certificate from the Malaysian government veterinary health services to bring your dog or cat into Great Britain from Peninsular Malaysia. The certificate must show your pet:

  • has not had contact with pigs in the 60 days before you left
  • has not been on a holding where Nipah disease has been found in the 60 days before you left
  • has a negative blood test result for Nipah virus antibody - the test must be carried out by a laboratory approved for Nipah virus on a blood sample taken no more than 10 days before you leave

Getting a pet passport

Pet passports show the details of the different health treatments your pet has had.

You can get a pet passport from a vet authorised to issue them in any ‘part 1’ listed country.

Great Britain is not ‘part 1’ listed. You cannot use a pet passport from Great Britain unless it was issued before 1 January 2021.

If your vet does not issue pet passports, ask them for the nearest one that does or contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

When you get a pet passport you’ll need to take:

  • your pet
  • your pet’s identity and vaccination records
  • rabies blood test results, if your pet needs them

The passport is only valid if you meet the entry requirements.

You should travel with previous pet passports in some cases, for example if your pet has had a blood test. Ask your vet if you think this applies to your pet.

Only vets in EU countries can enter rabies vaccination details into an EU pet passport. Any vet in any country can put tapeworm treatment details into a pet passport.

You’ll need to get a new pet passport when all the treatment spaces are full.

Before you travel

Check that the vet has filled in the following sections in the pet passport:

  • details of ownership - you must sign section I if your pet passport was issued on or after 29 December 2014
  • description of animal
  • marking or identification of animal
  • vaccination against rabies
  • rabies blood test (if needed)
  • details of the vet issuing the passport (for passports issued from 29 December 2014)
  • your dog’s tapeworm treatment (if needed)

Getting an animal health certificate (AHC)

You can only use an AHC that’s been issued in Great Britain. You’ll usually only have one if you originally travelled with your pet from Great Britain.

AHCs must be signed by an ‘official veterinarian’ (OV). If you’re in Great Britain, check if your vet can issue animal health certificates. If they cannot, ask them to help you find an OV.

Find out more about getting an AHC.

Getting a Great Britain pet health certificate

You can ask your vet to complete a Great Britain pet health certificate.

Your pet must arrive in Great Britain within 10 days of the pet health certificate being issued.