Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Skip to contents of guide

How to claim

To claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), tell your employer by the deadline. Check with your employer how you should tell them.

If you cannot work for 7 or more days (including non-working days) you need:

  • an ‘isolation note’ if you’re unable to work because of coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • your notification from the NHS or public health authorities if you’ve been told to self-isolate because you’ve come into contact with someone with COVID-19
  • a ‘fit note’ (or sick note) if you’re off sick for another reason
  • a letter confirming the date of your procedure if you’ve been advised to self-isolate before going into hospital for surgery

If you’re unhappy with a decision

Talk to your employer if you think:

  • their decision not to pay you SSP is wrong
  • you’re not getting the right amount of SSP

You can ask them for a reason.

If this does not sort the problem, contact the HMRC Statutory Payment Disputes Team.