How to claim
To claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), tell your employer by the deadline. Check with your employer how you should tell them.
If you cannot work for 7 or more days (including non-working days) you need:
- an ‘isolation note’ if you’re unable to work because of coronavirus (COVID-19)
- your notification from the NHS or public health authorities if you’ve been told to self-isolate because you’ve come into contact with someone with COVID-19
- a ‘fit note’ (or sick note) if you’re off sick for another reason
- a letter confirming the date of your procedure if you’ve been advised to self-isolate before going into hospital for surgery
If you’re unhappy with a decision
Talk to your employer if you think:
- their decision not to pay you SSP is wrong
- you’re not getting the right amount of SSP
You can ask them for a reason.
If this does not sort the problem, contact the HMRC Statutory Payment Disputes Team.