Beta This is new guidance. Complete our quick 5-question survey to help us improve it.
Understand user needs: plan research, prepare for sessions, share and analyse findings.
Understanding user research
Introduction, user needs, users who need help online.
User research in the different design phases
Discovery, alpha, beta, live.
Preparing for user research
Planning, participants, locations, recruitment.
- Plan user research for your service
- Plan a round of user research
- Choose a location for user research
- Find user research participants
- Write a recruitment brief
- Getting users' consent for research
- Running research sessions with people with disabilities
- Researching contentious subjects or during pre-election periods
User research methods
Common methods and techniques.
- Capturing research questions
- Contextual research and observation
- Researching user experiences
- Creating an experience map
- Using in-depth interviews
- Using moderated usability testing
- Taking notes and recording user research sessions
- Doing pop-up research
- Doing user research remotely by phone or video call