Guidance and regulation

229 results


Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

sorted by Most viewed
  • Pet travel to Europe after Brexit

    How to prepare for travel with your pet to any EU country after EU Exit whether the UK leaves the EU with or without a deal.

  • Pet travel: approved air, sea and rail carriers and routes

    Check the transport companies and routes you can use to bring your pet cat, dog or ferret to England, Scotland or Wales.

  • Register land you use to keep livestock

    How to get a county parish holding (CPH) number, add land to your CPH or register your temporary use of land to keep livestock.

  • Import and export licences

    Licences are needed for import and export of military and paramilitary goods, dual-use and technology, artworks, plants and animals, medicines and chemicals - be aware of your responsibilities and who the relevant UK licensing authorities are.

  • Balai Directive: moving live animals, semen and embryos

    The animals, semen and embryos covered by the Balai Directive and how to move them in the EU, the UK or to and from non-EU countries.

  • Endangered species: imports and exports and commercial use

    How to apply for a CITES permit to import and export endangered species and for commercial use.

  • Cross compliance 2019

    Farmers and land managers must follow these cross compliance rules from 1 January 2019 if they claim for the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS), a stewardship scheme or the English Woodland Grant Scheme (EWGS) in 2019.

  • Animal by-product categories, site approval, hygiene and disposal

    What animal by-products (ABPs) are, how to set up a site that uses them safely, the paperwork you need, and how to dispose of them.

  • Put your pet in rabies quarantine

    When your pet must go in quarantine, how to book a pet carrier and quarantine premises, and how to get your pet released from quarantine.

  • Fallen stock and safe disposal of dead animals

    How to safely and legally dispose of dead farm animals and horses.

  • Avian influenza (bird flu)

    How to spot avian influenza (bird flu), what to do if you suspect it, and measures to prevent it.

  • Keeping a pet pig or 'micropig'

    Find out how to register your land and animals, how to get a walking licence and what you can feed pet pigs.

  • Plant health controls

    Plant health controls, imports and exports, certification schemes, plant passporting and listed quarantine plant pests.

  • Eggs: trade regulations

    Regulations for marketing and trading of eggs, registration, egg marking and inspections, salmonella and egg quality.

  • Importing plants, fruit, vegetables or plant material to the UK

    Guidance on how to import plants, fruit, vegetables and plant materials to the UK from outside the EU.

  • Newcastle disease: how to spot and report it

    How to spot Newcastle disease, what to do if you suspect it and measures to prevent its spread.

  • Identify a tree pest or disease: overview

    Find out about pests and diseases that could be affecting your trees.

  • Equine viral arteritis: how to spot and report the disease

    How to spot equine viral arteritis, what to do if you suspect it and measures to prevent its spread.

  • Importing live animals or animal products from non-EU countries

    Getting the right licence, where you can import from, and the checks your consignment must pass at a Border Inspection Post (BIP).

  • APHA laboratory test submissions and price lists

    How to find information on the laboratory testing services and prices for animal disease diagnosis provided by APHA.