You need a Returning Resident visa to come back to live in the UK if you were previously settled (given ‘indefinite leave to enter or remain’) and you’ve been away for more than 2 years.
You may still need to apply for a visa if you’ve been asked to confirm you can travel to the UK, for example by the airline you’re travelling with.
- plan to return to live in the UK permanently
- have been settled in the UK before you last left
- not have been given public funds to help you leave the UK
There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK until 2021. You and your family can apply for ‘settled status’ to continue living in the UK after June 2021. The scheme will open fully by March 2019.
If you’ve been away for more than 2 years
You must provide enough evidence to show:
- your strong ties to the UK
- your current circumstances and why you’ve lived outside the UK
You will not lose your indefinite leave to remain after 2 years outside the UK if your spouse or partner is a member of the UK armed forces and you’ve joined them on an overseas posting.
You also will not lose it if your spouse or partner is a British citizen or settled in the UK and one of the following:
- a permanent member of the Diplomatic Service
- a UK-based British Council employee who works outside the UK
- a Department for International Development (DFID) employee
- a Home Office employee
Family members (‘dependants’)
Your dependants (partner and children under 18) need to apply separately for a Returning Resident visa if they’re eligible.
It costs £516 to apply.
How long it takes
Check the guide processing times to find out how long it might take to get a visa in your country.
How long you can stay
You can return to live permanently in the UK.
You’ll need to provide:
- a current passport or other valid travel identification
- previous passports
- a passport-sized colour photograph
- documents that prove you have ties to the UK, for example proof you’ve earned income, or rented or owned property, in the UK
You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.
Read the guide for a full list of documents you need to provide.
You must apply online for a Returning Resident visa.
You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.
You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in - check with your visa application centre.
You cannot apply online from North Korea.
To apply from North Korea you must: