Represent yourself in court

Divorce and separation involving children

You’ll be referred to as the ‘applicant’ if you brought the case, eg you filed the divorce papers.

You’ll be known as the ‘respondent’ if you’ve received divorce papers or a request for a separation, or a contact order or residence order for a child.

Before you go to court

You must normally go to mediation before you go to court.

The court won’t hear your case until you send them a C100 form.

Read guidance about whether you should take your case to court.

Read guidance about what happens at court and what you must do if you represent yourself.

Find out more about: