Report a flood or possible cause of flooding

Who you need to contact depends on what’s flooding.

Sewers and burst water mains

Contact your local water company to fix:

  • blocked sewers
  • burst water mains

Public drains and flooded roads

Contact your local council to:

Rivers and the sea

Call the Environment Agency to report:

  • collapsed or badly damaged river banks
  • flooding from main rivers or the sea
  • main rivers blocked by a vehicle or fallen tree causing risk of flooding

  • unusual changes in river flow

Contact your local council to report flooding from other rivers, brooks or streams.

Environment Agency incident hotline
0800 80 70 60
24-hour service
Find out about call charges

Groundwater flooding

Report groundwater flooding to your local council. Groundwater flooding is caused by water rising up through the ground.

Private drains

Floods caused by private drains are the responsibility of the property owner.