Register as a childminder or childcare provider (England)

After you apply

When you submit your application Ofsted will:

  • check your references
  • review any checks with your doctor, your local council and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
  • check on anyone else who will be living or working at the premises where the child will be cared for

They’ll also usually interview you and may inspect your premises. This is known as a ‘registration visit’.

Getting a registration visit

You’ll only get a registration visit from an Ofsted inspector if you’ve applied to the Early Years Register.

If you’re applying for both registers, Ofsted will look at how well you meet the requirements for the Childcare Register when they inspect you for the Early Years Register.

Find out how to prepare for your registration visit in part 2 of the registration handbook.

If your application is approved

You’ll get a certificate of registration if your application is approved.

Details about your registration will be published online.

If you applied as a childminder or to provide childcare on domestic premises, you can ask for your address not to be published.

If your application is refused

Ofsted will send you a letter called a ‘notice of intention’ which will tell you why you’ve been turned down.

You’ll also be sent a leaflet on how to object.

Object to a decision

You can object to a decision if you’ve been sent a ‘notice of intention’.

You must object within 14 days of the date on the notice.

Ofsted will consider your objection then tell you if you’re still refused registration, or can’t provide childcare on a certain premises.

If you don’t object, or Ofsted doesn’t change its decision, you’ll get a second letter called a ‘notice of decision’. This is the final decision to refuse registration or approval of a certain premises.

Appeal a decision

You can appeal to an independent tribunal if you get a notice of decision.

You must appeal within 28 days of the date that you’re sent the notice.

Withdraw your application

You must tell Ofsted if you want to withdraw your application. If you don’t, the application will continue and may be refused if you don’t meet all the requirements.

If your registration is refused, you’ll be disqualified from providing registered childcare in the future.

You can’t provide childcare on a premises that isn’t approved.

You usually can’t withdraw your application if you’ve been sent a notice of intention.