Guidance on the standards that school and childcare providers must meet for the learning, development and care of children under 5.
- sets the standards that all early years providers must meet to ensure that children learn and develop well
- ensures children are kept healthy and safe
- ensures that children have the knowledge and skills they need to start school
This statutory framework is for:
- school leaders
- school staff
- childcare providers
It relates to:
- local authority-maintained schools
- non-maintained schools (schools not maintained by a local authority)
- independent schools
- academies and free schools
- private nursery schools
Statutory guidance is issued by law; you must follow it unless there’s a good reason not to.
This framework replaced the EYFS framework 2012 on 1 September 2014.
Supporting material is available on the Foundation Years website.