Early years (under 5s) foundation stage framework (EYFS)
- Department for Education
- Part of:
- National curriculum assessments: early years foundation stage, Primary school teachers: useful information, Schools: statutory guidance, Early years, and Exams, testing and assessment
- 31 March 2014
- Last updated:
- 3 March 2017, see all updates
- Applies to:
The standards that school and childcare providers must meet for the learning, development and care of children under 5.
- sets the standards that all early years providers must meet to ensure that children learn and develop well
- ensures children are kept healthy and safe
- ensures that children have the knowledge and skills they need to start school
This statutory framework is for:
- school leaders
- school staff
- childcare providers
It relates to:
- local authority-maintained schools
- non-maintained schools (schools not maintained by a local authority)
- independent schools
- academies and free schools
- private nursery schools
Statutory guidance is issued by law; you must follow it unless there’s a good reason not to do so.
The EYFS framework published on 3 March 2017 came into force on 3 April 2017.
Supporting material is available on the Foundation Years website.
Published: 31 March 2014
Updated: 3 March 2017
- Added new statutory framework.
- Added link to the Foundation Years website.
- First published.