Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Early years (under 5s) foundation stage framework (EYFS)
The standards that school and childcare providers must meet for the learning, development and care of children under 5.
- sets the standards that all early years providers must meet to ensure that children learn and develop well
- ensures children are kept healthy and safe
- ensures that children have the knowledge and skills they need to start school
This statutory framework is for:
- school leaders
- school staff
- childcare providers
It relates to:
- local authority-maintained schools
- non-maintained schools (schools not maintained by a local authority)
- independent schools
- academies and free schools
- private nursery schools
Statutory guidance is issued by law; you must follow it unless there’s a good reason not to.
The EYFS framework published in March 2014 remains in force until 2 April 2017. The EYFS framework published on 3 March 2017 will come into force on 3 April 2017.
Supporting material is available on the Foundation Years website.