If you have applied to register as an organisation, the registration visit and interview will take place with the nominated individual. The inspector will check that you (as the nominated individual) fully understand the legal responsibilities of your role.
You must be accountable for meeting all the requirements. This means showing the inspector how you will make sure that the manager is running the setting properly (for example, setting suitable policies about safeguarding and recruitment).
As well as the points above, the inspector will check:
- that you and your staff meet the EYFS qualification requirements for training and understand the childcare ratios
- how much space you have for each child
- that you understand the number and age of children you can care for (childcare ratios)
- how you will organise your space to meet the children’s learning, development and welfare needs
- your premises’ heating, ventilation, natural light and the general state of repair and cleanliness
- that the children have access to outdoor play (this does not necessarily have to be on the premises), and any necessary arrangements for this
- that there are enough suitable kitchen, toilet and nappy-changing facilities
- that you and your staff will deliver educational programmes to help children learn and develop
The inspector will also check that you have suitable procedures for hiring staff, including:
- recruitment processes
- getting DBS checks
- obtaining details of employment history, references and any other necessary checks, such as checks on an employee’s physical and mental health