If you want to be paid to look after children under 8, you might need to register with Ofsted or a childminder agency.

You can get a fine if you do not register when you need to.

You must register as a childminder if all of the following apply:

  • the children are under the age of 8
  • you look after them for more than 2 hours a day
  • you look after them in your own home
  • you get paid to look after them - including payment in kind

There are different rules if you want to provide daycare outside someone’s home - for example a nursery or creche.

You do not need to register if you’re:

  • a nanny
  • a tutor
  • a babysitter and if you look after the children between 6pm and 2am
  • a family friend and if you look after the children less than 3 hours a day

You can still choose to register if you’re a nanny or in other situations. This helps the child’s parents qualify for free childcare.

Who cannot register

You cannot register if you:

  • are under 18
  • are related to all of the children you look after
  • do not have the legal right to work in the UK
  • are barred from working with children
  • have been disqualified
  • have been refused registration in the past or had your registration cancelled - unless it was because you did not pay your annual fee
  • are childminding in a home where a disqualified person lives or works

If you’ve been disqualified, you may be able to apply to waive your disqualification