Payment Exception Service

The Payment Exception Service allows you to collect benefit or pension payments without a bank account.

The service is only available if you cannot open a bank account.

How to get your money

You’ll be sent one of the following:

  • a payment card
  • an email with a voucher code
  • a text message with a voucher code

You can collect your payment during the opening hours of:

  • any PayPoint outlet
  • any Post Office

You’ll need to show your card or voucher code.

Find a PayPoint outlet near you.

Find a Post Office near you.

You must collect your payment within 90 days of it being sent to you. If you do not, the payment will expire and you’ll have to ask the office that pays your benefit or pension to send it again.

How much money you can collect

You can collect the full amount you’re owed in one visit. Each payment is a maximum of £100 but you can collect more than one payment at a time. To collect an amount over £100, use your card more than once during your visit or use more than one voucher code.

The outlet will need to have enough cash in their till.

Proving your identity

You’ll need to show one original document as proof of your identity - copies will not be accepted.

For example you could use a:

  • valid UK photo or paper driving licence
  • current passport
  • current gas, electricity, water or landline phone bill (less than 3 months old)
  • council tax bill
  • tenancy agreement
  • letter from DWP or your council (less than 3 months old) confirming you get a benefit

Getting someone else to collect your money

If you want someone to collect your money for you, they’ll need:

  • your payment card or voucher
  • your proof of identity
  • their proof of identity

If someone cannot manage their own affairs

You can apply to become an appointee for someone if they cannot manage their own affairs. You’ll get a payment card to use on their behalf, and will be responsible for reporting any change of circumstance.

If you lose your payment card or it’s damaged

Contact the Payment Exception Service.

Your card will be blocked and you’ll be sent a new one.

You’ll also be sent a voucher by email or text message to make sure you do not miss out on any payments.

If you need help

If you need help using the service or want to make a complaint, contact the Payment Exception Service.

Contact the Payment Exception Service

Payment Exception Service
Telephone: 0800 015 2902
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 6pm
Sunday, 10am to 4pm
Bank holidays in England and Wales, 9am to 6pm
Find out about call charges