To set up a private limited company you need to register with Companies House. This is known as ‘incorporation’. You need:
- a company name - there are rules on what it can and can’t include
- an address for the company
- at least one director
- at least one shareholder
- the agreement of all initial shareholders (‘subscribers’) to create the company - known as a ‘memorandum of association’
- details of the company’s shares and the rights attached to them - known as a ‘statement of capital’
- written rules about how the company is run - known as ‘articles of association’
Once the company is registered you’ll get a ‘Certificate of Incorporation’. This confirms the company legally exists and shows the company number and date of formation.
How to register
You can register online with Companies House if your company:
Otherwise, you must use a different method of registration.
Register for Corporation Tax
Your company will also need to register for Corporation Tax within 3 months of starting to do business.