Income Support

4. How to claim or change a claim

The quickest way to apply for Income Support is by phone.

You may need to claim Universal Credit instead. Check you’re eligible before you apply.

New benefit claims

Jobcentre Plus - new claims
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Welsh language: 0800 012 1888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

You can also apply by post by sending a claim form to your local Jobcentre Plus.

Alternative formats

Call to ask for alternative formats, such as braille, large print or audio CD.

There’s a different way to apply in Northern Ireland.

You can claim Income Support for yourself and your partner, if they haven’t already made a claim.

You’ll need to give details about:

  • your income
  • the income of any partner
  • where you live
  • who lives with you

Change a claim

You must report changes in circumstances to Jobcentre Plus, such as:

  • change of address
  • you start working
  • your income or savings change
  • the number of people who live with you changes

You need your National Insurance number and date of birth when you call.

Jobcentre Plus - existing claims
Telephone: 0345 608 8545
Textphone: 0345 608 8551
Welsh Language: 0345 600 3018
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

If you’re in Northern Ireland contact your local social security or jobs and benefits office.

If you disagree with a decision

You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for mandatory reconsideration.