Historic (classic) vehicles: MOT and vehicle tax

1. Eligibility

The date your vehicle was built or first registered affects whether you need to:

Date the vehicle was built or first registered

8 January 1977 onwards

You must get an MOT and pay vehicle tax.

1 January 1960 to 7 January 1977 

You must get an MOT, but don’t have to pay vehicle tax.

Before 1 January 1960

You don’t need to get an MOT or pay vehicle tax.

What you have to do

You need to apply for a vehicle tax exemption to stop paying vehicle tax.

This is sometimes called putting a vehicle into the ‘historic tax class’.

You don’t need to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year. However, you must still keep it in a roadworthy condition.

You can be fined up to £2,500 and get 3 penalty points for using a vehicle in a dangerous condition.