When you’re hiring crew for a ship or yacht, you must:
- check crew members’ discharge books to make sure they have the qualifications and certificates of competency for their jobs
- check that all crew members have the necessary medical certificates for the work they’ll be doing
- make sure everyone has the necessary travel documents
- check that all crew can speak the ship’s common working language
- draw up a crew agreement
- send a full crew list to the owner of the ship or yacht
You must make sure all crew members know the ship’s safety and emergency procedures before the start of your journey.