Slovenia: providing services and travelling for business

Guidance for UK businesses on rules for selling services to Slovenia.

Read this page in combination with the guidance for EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

The authoritative source for Slovenian market regulations is the Slovenian government. This guidance links to official Slovenian sources wherever possible.

Trade and services regulations in Slovenia

If you are a UK business providing services in Slovenia, you must follow Slovenian regulations about:

  • getting an authorisation or a licence to provide a service
  • complying with specific local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

The Slovenian Point of Single Contact for service providers can help you to:

  • find out about providing services in Slovenia
  • understand local regulations
  • complete the relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in Slovenia to help you comply with specific regulations.

To find out if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

VAT on sales of digital services

To use the UK’s VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) to declare sales of digital services to EU consumers, businesses need to register for MOSS in an EU member state.

Find out more about paying VAT on sales of digital services.

Ownership of companies registered in Slovenia

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a registered company in Slovenia.

See our guidance on establishing and structuring your business in the EEA and Switzerland.

If you’re a UK legal professional who has investments in law firms in Slovenia, contact the Slovene Bar Association website for information on the implications for your investment.

Business travel and entry requirements

As part of the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the UK and the EU have agreed provisions to facilitate the movement of business travellers, including those who supply services.

See the latest information on travel to Europe.

The Slovenian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of the Interior websites have more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

Social security payments for employees

Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Slovenia.

Recognition of professional qualifications

To check what you need to do in Slovenia, read our guidance on professional qualifications in the EEA and Switzerland.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Slovenia, these sources can help you:

UK statutory auditors working in Slovenia

For UK statutory auditors, the Slovenian Agency for Public Oversight of Auditing (site in Slovenian) should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in Slovenia

If you are a UK-qualified lawyer working in Slovenia, using either a Slovenian or UK professional title, you should contact the local Bar association in the region in which you are working or the Slovene Bar Association for specific advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

As part of the wider UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the free flow of personal data from Finland to the UK will continue after 1 January 2021 for no longer than 6 months, until adequacy decisions come into effect.

As a sensible precaution during this 6 month period, it is recommended that you work with organisations in Finland who transfer personal data to you to put in place alternative transfer mechanisms to safeguard against any interruption to the free flow of EU to UK personal data.

Read guidance on using data in your personal business or other organisation.

Published 11 March 2019
Last updated 28 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. Updated the following sections to reflect the changes created by the UK and EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement: overview, trade regulations, VAT on sales of digital services, business travel and entry requirements, social security payments for employees, recognition of professional qualifications, and data transfer and GDPR.

  2. Guidance for ‘Recognition of professional qualifications’ and ‘Social security payments for employees’ updated.

  3. Change to title to include travelling for business

  4. Update to 'Business travel and entry requirements' section

  5. First published.