Shipping radioactive waste and spent fuel from 1 January 2021

Although the UK’s policy on the import and export of radioactive waste and spent fuel is not changing, some of the processes that operators need to follow will change from 1 January 2021.

The UK has left the EU

This page tells you what you'll need to do from 1 January 2021. It'll be updated if anything changes.

You can also read about the transition period.

What operators need to do

Before 1 January 2021

You will need to:

  • check whether your existing authorisations are valid - authorisations for shipments with or via the EU will cease to be valid from 1 January 2021
  • apply for any new authorisations by contacting the relevant competent authority

From 1 January 2021

You will need to:

  • comply with the Transfrontier Shipment of Radioactive Waste and Spent Fuel (EU Exit) Regulations 2019
  • apply for authorisations when importing from the EU
  • include in your application, evidence confirming that the exporter will take back the material if the shipment cannot be completed in accordance with the regulations when applying to import from the EU
  • use UK documentation with every shipment instead of previously used EU documentation - you will be committing a criminal offence if you fail to include appropriate documentation
  • notify the relevant competent authority in the UK of completion of shipments to the EU using the notification of arrival form - failing to notify them will be a criminal offence

Forms for shipments of radioactive waste and spent fuel (ZIP, 693KB)

Contact the competent authority

Contact the relevant competent authorities for more detailed information, including application fees.

The competent authorities are:

More information

See the related guides on:

Published 18 February 2019