Shipping radioactive waste and spent fuel

The UK’s policy on the import and export of radioactive waste and spent fuel has not changed, but there are some changes to the processes that operators need to follow.

What operators need to do

You need to:

Forms for shipments of radioactive waste and spent fuel (ZIP, 693 KB)

For shipments to or from England, Scotland and Wales you also need to:

  • apply for authorisations when importing from the EU
  • include in your application evidence confirming that the exporter will take back the material if the shipment cannot be completed in accordance with the regulations when applying to import from the EU
  • notify the relevant competent authority in the UK of completion of shipments to the EU using the notification of arrival form - failing to notify them is a criminal offence

Contact the competent authority

Contact the relevant competent authorities for more detailed information, including application fees.

The competent authorities are:

More information

See the related guides on:

Published 31 December 2020