This self-assessment checklist helps academy trusts check they are managing resources effectively and identify any adjustments they need to make.
Applies to England
Submit your self-assessment checklist
Use the online form to submit your checklist.
If you have used this type of online form before, for example, the last time you submitted your checklist or the accounts submission coversheet, you can log in using the same details. Do not use your identity and access management system (IDAMS) registration details, as these will not work with this form.
If you have forgotten your login details, or have not used the form before, request a new password or create a DfE account.
Theprovides guidance on the questions.
All academy trusts which have an open academy must complete the self-assessment checklist each year.
The checklist helps governing bodies and trust boards to:
- check they have appropriate financial management and governance arrangements
- check they are meeting the right standards to achieve a good level of financial health and resource management
- identify areas for change to make sure resources are used to support high-quality teaching and the best education outcomes for pupils
The checklist was previously part of the school resource management self-assessment tool (SRMSAT).
Who needs to complete the self-assessment checklist
All academy trusts which have an open academy on 31 December 2022 must complete and submit a 2022 to 2023 self-assessment checklist.
Local authority maintained schools should use the schools financial value standard.
Complete your checklist
The checklist covers 6 areas:
- trust strategy
- setting the annual budget
- value for money
- protecting the public purse
As you’re completing your self-assessment checklist, you may find it useful to refer to:
- the Academies Trust Handbook
- the governance handbook
- guidance on operating an academy trust as a going concern
- information on integrated curriculum and financial planning
- guidance on good estate management in schools
- the school resource management collection
The self-assessment dashboard helps trusts to complete their checklists. To find your self-assessment dashboard:
Search for your school(s) on the schools financial benchmarking service.
Click on ‘start a comparison’.
Click on ‘self-assessment dashboard’.
Guidance on completing the self-assessment dashboard is available.
The dashboard provides red, amber or green (RAG) ratings against a school’s data. This indicates how its spending and characteristics compare with similar schools or nationally recognised bandings and includes possible follow-up actions.
The dashboard was previously part of the SRMSAT.
Send feedback on the checklist and guidance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like to receive occasional updates from DfE on school resource management, sign up to our school business professional contact list.