Apply for a grant to increase the diversity of teachers in leadership positions.
The National College for Teaching and Leadership invites lead schools, on behalf of groups or alliances of schools to apply for grant funding to design and deliver leadership programmes.
Currently, only 3.1% of headteachers are from black and minority ethnic groups (compared to 7.6% of all teachers) and at secondary, just 38.2% of headteachers are female (compared to 73.8% of all classroom teachers). (Source: School Workforce in England: November 2015 statistical first release).
The funding will support under-represented groups as defined by the Equality Act 2010. These groups are age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. Teachers participating in your programme can be at any stage in their career. There is no upper limit on the number of participants, value of grant and cost per participant.
This funding reinforces the government’s commitment to increasing the diversity of school leadership, raising aspirations and the chances of successful promotion among people with leadership potential.
The application round has now closed.
|Application round opened||week commencing 11 July 2016|
|Application round closed||Wednesday 21 September 2016 at midday|
|Outcomes communicated by email||October 2016|
|Return grant offer letter to NCTL||October 2016|
|Programme delivery||October 2016 onwards|
|Orientation meetings||7 October 2016 (London) or 13 October 2016 (Sheffield)|
|1 year programme completion||By end of summer term 2017|
|2 year programme completion||By end of summer term 2018|
Who can apply
There is no minimum or maximum size of school partnerships. We are looking for schools that can offer economies of scale in terms of their reach and cohort size. Lead schools should base their numbers on a strategic needs analysis, their ability to recruit participants and organisational capacity.
Lead schools can apply to lead a portfolio of programmes, but these must be worked up in full and only one application should be submitted. In this situation, the lead school would be the grantee and would be the main contact with us.
Your school must be:
- a lead school applying on behalf of a group of schools
- graded Outstanding or Good for overall effectiveness by Ofsted in your most recent inspection
- able to show, through needs analysis, that you’re tackling underrepresentation of one or more of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010
- able to list all of the strategic partners in your partnership and demonstrate that the consortium is of a sufficient size and has sufficient breadth to make the programme viable
- able to demonstrate evidence of working together with strategic partners to design, develop and evaluate professional development
Funding is available for one or two academic years, starting in October 2016.
If your application for funding is successful, you’ll be required to:
- act as programme lead and main contact
- act as the fund holding school and be responsible for the receipt and use of funding
- complete and return your grant offer letter by the deadline
- design, implement, quality assure and evaluate effective leadership development
- submit termly progress reports to show that programmes are on track
- ensure at least 85% of participants complete your programme
- ensure all participants who complete the programme can show how it has helped them develop as a leader
- ensure at least 70% of participants are applying for, or have applied for, promotion by the end of the programme
- complete an end of programme evaluation report
- report against spend through the NCTL collaborative fund process
- participate in any Department for Education and NCTL evaluation, including providing us with case studies and participant feedback, and sharing your experience in meetings
Equality and Diversity
Published: 20 May 2014
Updated: 21 September 2016
- Application round has now closed
- Application round now open
- Application round now closed.
- Leadership equality and diversity WebEx slides added.
- Application round is now open
- Application round for the equality and diversity grant funding has closed.
- First published.