PHE data and analysis tools
- Public Health England
- Part of:
- PHE Yorkshire and Humber: advice, support and services, PHE North East: advice, support and services, PHE East of England: advice, support and services, PHE South East: advice, support and services, PHE North West: advice, support and services PHE London: advice, support and services, PHE East Midlands: advice, support and services, PHE South West: advice, support and services, and PHE West Midlands: advice, support and services
- 1 April 2013
- Last updated:
- 26 May 2017, see all updates
A single point of access to data and analysis tools from across Public Health England (previously known as the 'Data and knowledge gateway').
This resource is in development and will be added to over time, so please let us know if you do not find the information you need or if you would like to give feedback.
About this resource
What it does
Public Health England (PHE) provides many high quality data and analysis tools and resources for public health professionals. The PHE data and knowledge gateway provides direct access to these resources.
Who it is for
The resources help local government and health service professionals make decisions and plans to improve people’s health and reduce inequalities in their area. They can be used by anyone with an interest in understanding the health of the population and how it varies across the country.
Restricted access content
You don’t need to login to access most tools. However, some tools require eligible users to register and login, to protect certain types of data. Information about how to register will be available on the individual resource web page.
Types of content
The resources cover a wide range of public health areas, including:
- specific health conditions – such as cancer, mental health, cardiovascular disease
- lifestyle risk factors – such as smoking, alcohol and obesity
- wider determinants of health – such as environment, housing and deprivation
- health protection, and differences between population groups, including adults, older people, and children.
The tools were produced by organisations that are now part of PHE, including public health observatories, the Health Protection Agency, cancer registries, UK screening programmes and the National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse.
This resource links to the content on these former organisations’ websites. This will be added to over time to cover a wider range of tool types and topics.
Longer term, the plan is to bring all the data and analytical content from these websites together.
Use the help and guidance provided within each specific tool. If you have questions about a specific tool, please use the contact details on the website for that tool.
A to Z list
Cascade (The UKCIS replacement) (login or registration required)
Head and neck cancer e-atlas (profiles)
Head and neck cancer e-atlas (resources)
UK cancer information service (UKCIS) (login or registration required)
Child and maternal health
Key data on adolescence by Association for Young People’s Health
Comparison, practice and performance
Strategic Health Asset Planning and Evaluation (SHAPE) (login or registration required)
Drugs, alcohol and tobacco
Drug and alcohol monitoring system (DAMS) (login or registration required)
End of life care
General health profiles
Health economics and return on investment
Health impact assessment
Injuries and violence
Obesity, diet and physical activity
Population screening programmes: legacy screening portal for extranet (login or registration required)
Please send your feedback about these data and analysis tools to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published: 1 April 2013
Updated: 26 May 2017
- Added link to guidance on health economics and return on investment tools.
- Added links to new guidance on cardiovascular, dementia, mental health and neurology data and analysis tools.
- Updated child and maternal health links.
- Updated list of tools for mental health.
- Updated list of tools for mental health.
- Updated list of tools for: child and maternal health; mental health.
- Updated list of data tools for child health.
- Added links to profiles for: Common mental health disorders; community mental health; neurology; severe mental illness and; suicide prevention.
- First published.
From: Public Health England
Part of: PHE Yorkshire and Humber: advice, support and services PHE North East: advice, support and services PHE East of England: advice, support and services PHE South East: advice, support and services PHE North West: advice, support and services PHE London: advice, support and services PHE East Midlands: advice, support and services PHE South West: advice, support and services PHE West Midlands: advice, support and services