Parcel delivery services and preparing for EU Exit

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, there may be changes that affect your business.

Your business may need to make changes before the UK leaves the EU. Please visit Prepare for EU Exit to find more detailed guidance on policy changes relevant to your sector and to sign up for updates.


Paying import VAT on parcels you sell to UK buyers

If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, sellers outside the UK (including within the EU) must pay the import VAT for any parcels worth £135 or less, sent to UK buyers after 12 April 2019.

This will include parcels worth £15 or less as the existing Low Value Consignment Relief (LVCR) will no longer apply.

The import VAT can be paid by either:

  • using the online service to report and pay the import VAT due to HMRC
  • paying a parcel operator that offers a service to pay import VAT to HMRC

Read the guidance on import VAT on parcels.

Further information is provided in HMRC’s guidance on VAT for businesses if there’s no Brexit deal.

Regulations and standards

Driving in the EU

EU and EEA countries may not recognise UK-issued community licences from 12 April 2019 if there is no EU Exit deal.

If that happens, the UK government is confident it can negotiate new bilateral agreements or reinstate old ones with EU countries to provide haulage access.

Read the guidance on requirements for UK commercial drivers driving abroad.

Your employees

Employing EU workers

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, EU citizens who are resident in the UK before 29 March 2019 will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to get settled or pre-settled status, which will mean they can continue to live, work and study in the UK.

The scheme will be open to applications from 30 March 2019 and EU workers must apply by 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

You can use the EU Settlement Scheme guidance for employers to give further information to your employees.

Applying for skilled-work or unskilled-work visas

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, there will be a new process for EU citizens arriving in the UK before 31 December 2020.

From 1 January 2021, a new skills-based immigration system will launch.

For non-EU nationals, EU Exit will not affect the application process for work visas.

Travelling to the EU

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, British passport holders travelling to the EU will need to have 6 months remaining validity on their passport, not including any extra months added to a 10-year passport if it was renewed early.

Read guidance about travelling to the EU with a UK passport if the UK leaves the EU without a deal and check your passport to see if you need to renew earlier than planned.

Trade associations

Mail Competition Forum
Association of International Courier & Express Services (AICES)
Mail Carriers Association

Published 27 February 2019