Find out about the Project Delivery Profession, how to join it and how to manage your career as a professional.
The Project Delivery Profession is a network of over 10,000 professionals in government who are involved with the delivery of projects, programmes and portfolios.
It is one of the Civil Service Professions. Project delivery is a function of the Civil Service.
The Infrastructure and Projects Authority (IPA) is the home of the Project Delivery Profession. It’s the IPA’s role to support the profession, lead on project delivery standards and best practice, and develop project delivery capacity and capability in all government departments.
Who can join
Project delivery is relevant to everybody, from administrators to senior civil servants.
You can join the profession at any stage of your career including mid-career from another profession. You can also be a member of more than one profession.
You should consider joining the profession if you’re working at any grade in a project or programme delivery environment.
How to join
You can join the Project Delivery Profession via any of the following routes:
- move directly into a Civil Service job (permanent or fixed-term contracts, full-time or part-time) - look for a Civil Service job
- undertake a 2-year Civil Service Fast Track Project Delivery apprenticeship programme
- apply for the Civil Service Project Delivery Fast Stream programme - for graduates
Benefits of joining
Being a member of the Project Delivery Profession offers you:
- the opportunity to be involved in delivering infrastructure projects, defence projects, and IT and government transformation programmes
- the chance to make a difference to people’s lives
- on-the-job learning and professional development opportunities
Manage your career as a professional
The Project Delivery Capability Framework contains information for members of the Project Delivery Profession on:
- career paths
- development opportunities
Other resources you may find helpful are the:
- project delivery curriculum on Civil Service Learning
- Major Projects Leadership Academy (MPLA) and the MPLA handbook - for leaders in project delivery
- Project Leadership Programme - for the wider community
Connect with other professionals
Join the Government Project Delivery Community (GovPDC) on the social media platform Knowledge Hub – you’ll need to register first and then select Government Project Delivery Community on the network page.
For more information about the Project Delivery Profession, email: firstname.lastname@example.org