What you can expect if you request a meter test.
If you have contacted your energy supplier (the company sending the bills) about your gas meter readings but remain unhappy at the outcome, you have the right to request an independent test of your meter.
Although the test is free, you may have to pay your energy supplier for organising it if your meter is found to be working correctly, which was the case for most of the 1,212 meters tested in 2017.
- Ask your energy supplier for an independent test of your meter. You will be contacted to agree a time for its removal and the installation of a replacement.
- It’s best to note your meter reading and serial number on the day it is disconnected.
- Your meter will be securely packaged and sent to an approved laboratory for testing by an independent examiner.
- The examiner will post you a certificate with the test results. A copy will be sent to your energy supplier and the meter owner if this is a different company.
- If your meter is working correctly, within the legal limits, the certificate will say it is accurate.
- If your meter is faulty, the certificate will say it is a failure, either stating how far it is outside the legal limits or noting that its readings are unreliable. Your energy supplier will contact you to sort matters out. This may involve compensating you for over-billing or agreeing a payment plan for under-billing.
What we do
The Office for Product Safety and Standards ensures that gas meters are accurate, working closely with energy suppliers. We contract SGS (UK) Ltd. to employ examiners to perform the independent testing of gas meters and approve the laboratory where this is done.
We are not responsible for issues relating to gas bills.
Where to go for further advice
If you have a specific enquiry regarding the accuracy of your gas and/or electricity meter, we recommend you complete the online enquiry form, choose the relevant legislation and follow the on screen instructions.
Alternatively you can contact the OPSS helpdesk on 0121 345 1201.
It is open:
- Monday to Thursday 09:00 to 17:00
- Friday 09:00 to 16:00
Or in writing to:
Office for Product Safety and Standards
4th Floor Cannon House
18 The Priory Queensway