Legal aid guidance
General information including on costs assessment and remuneration for civil and crime matters.
Narrative and guidance: legal aid (PDF, 514KB, 29 pages) details certain aspects of legal aid such as:
- prior authorities (including authorities for counsel and experts in Children Act cases)
- funding for cases outside England and Wales
Paying for your civil legal aid (PDF, 193KB, 6 pages) helps clients with civil legal problems.
Evidence requirements for private family law matters guidance (PDF, 742KB, 30 pages)
Lord Chancellor’s guidance
Lord Chancellor's guidance (under section 4 of LASPO) (PDF, 750KB, 60 pages)
Lord Chancellor's guidance - determining eligibility (means) (PDF, 953KB, 128 pages)
Lord Chancellor's guidance - exceptional case funding (inquests) (PDF, 317KB, 7 pages)
Lord Chancellor's guidance - exceptional case funding (non-inquests) (PDF, 228KB, 20 pages)
Costs assessment guidance
The Costs assessment guidance has been amended to take account of the 2015 Standard Contract and in order to set out the extent to which disbursements can be claimed for investigatory help work in Exceptional Case Funding matters.
There are 2 versions of the costs assessment guidance, one for use with the 2010 Standard Civil Contract and the second for use with the 2013, 2014 and 2015 Standard Civil Contracts.
For use with the 2010 contract:
Costs assessment guidance (2010) (PDF, 973KB, 67 pages)
Costs assessment guidance tracked changes (2010) (PDF, 1.1MB, 67 pages)
For use with the 2013, 2014 and 2015 contract:
Costs assessment guidance (2013) (PDF, 1.3MB, 107 pages)
Costs assessment guidance tracked changes (2013) (PDF, 1.32MB, 107 pages)
The electronic handbook (PDF, 2.15MB, 151 pages)
The statutory charge manual (PDF, 772KB, 115 pages)
Crown Court Fee guidance (PDF, 1.72MB, 112 pages)
The criminal bills assessment manual (PDF, 1.54MB, 117 pages) sets out the Legal Aid Agency’s approach to costs assessment where work is undertaken in the magistrates’ court under a representation order.
The guidance is applied when assessing non standard fee claims and for costs compliance audits on fee claims.
Offence classification and type for AGFS and LGFS claims (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 317KB)
This guidance covers all aspects of Crown Court legal aid fees under the Advocates’ Graduated Fee Scheme (AGFS) and Litigators’ Graduated Fee Scheme (LGFS).
Case enquiry contact lists
Contact details desk aid: criminal (PDF, 223KB, 2 pages)
Contact details desk aid: civil (PDF, 380KB, 4 pages)
Published: 1 June 2014
Updated: 16 November 2016
- Civil and criminal contact details desk aids published.
- Narrative and guidance: legal aid document updated.
- 'Lord Chancellor's guidance (under section 4 of LASPO)' updated.
- Updated evidence requirements for private family law matters guidance published.
- Criminal bills assessment manual updated.
- Costs assessment guidance 2013 updated.
- Evidence requirements for private family law document updated.
- Post-judgment notice to Director of Legal Aid Casework (LAC): IS v Director of LAC and Lord Chancellor: ECF Guidance (non-inquests) added
- Updated Lord Chancellor funding guidance (non-inquests) published 9 June 2015
- Costs assessment guidance for 2010, 2013 and 2014 Standard Civil Contracts updated.
- A guide to claiming electronic evidence as pages of prosecution evidence published.
- New Lord Chancellor's guidance
- Notice to Director of Legal Aid Casework added
- First published.