Legal aid: submit a claim

Use claim forms or claim online, eg using CCMS, to get paid for all aspects of legal aid work; find guidance and help with submissions.

Applies to England and Wales

How to claim: paper forms


Claim forms

Civil claim rates calculator

Civil certificated billing codes

Civil codes guidance

Civil controlled work

Claim forms


Crown Court work must be claimed online via CCD

Crime claim forms

How to claim: online

There are four ways to submit a claim online for legal aid work done:

Client and cost management system

If your case has been submitted online via the client and cost management system (CCMS), you must also submit your claim through CCMS. Paper evidence can be scanned and submitted through the system online or sent to:

Northgate Public Services
Unit 1
26 Charles Way

DX: 324205

If your query is about a Client and Cost Management System (CCMS) case you should use the case enquiry task button. Alternatively, if your query is more general and not case specific you should use the general enquiry task button. Please visit the Contacts page of the CCMS website for details of who to contact in the following scenarios:

  1. When you have a CCMS query
  2. When you are unable to access CCMS due to a technical issue
  3. When you have an urgent query
  4. When you have feedback for the CCMS team
  5. If you would like to make a complaint
  6. If you are dissatisfied with the complaint response that you have received
  7. If you need to post documents

Contacts page of the CCMS website.

Contracted work and admin

Crown Court Claims


Phone for online and new starter support: 0300 200 2020

Phone (civil): 0117 302 3133

Phone (crime): 0300 200 2020

Management Information

This is not a way to submit claims but a web-based way to access, view and print financial statements using LAA online. To register and use this service, go to Management Information (MI).

What to do next

When you’ve filled in the forms and collected the right paperwork, it’s worth making use of the checklists to ensure your claim is processed quickly.

Unsigned, undated and incomplete forms are a common reason for rejection, as are forms sent to the incorrect address.

If you applied online through CCMS, you will be immediately prompted if you did not complete your claim correctly.

Where to send your forms


Email (including CWA):

Post civil claim forms to:

Berkley Way
Viking Business Park
Jarrow NE31 1SF

DX: 742 350 Jarrow 2

Phone: 0300 200 2020

For VHCC email:


All Crown Court billing must be completed using the online CDD billing system. Discs in support of a claim may be posted but must include a covering letter marked ‘AGFS’ or ‘LGFS’ with return address, client name, case number and court, and the date upon which the claim was submitted. These may be posted to:

Legal Aid Agency
1 Unity Square
Queensbridge Road


Controlled work


Post controlled work forms to:

Mental Health Unit/Immigration and Asylum
Controlled Work and Escaped Fee Claims
Legal Aid Agency
Level 6, The Capital
Union Street
Liverpool L3 9AF

Phone: 0300 200 2020

For general queries relating to advocate graduated fee schemes, please contact


For general queries relating to litigator graduated fee schemes, please contact


If any claim has been rejected but you think the LAA has made a mistake, email for a 24-hour response.

Updates to this page

Published 1 June 2014
Last updated 15 September 2022 + show all updates
  1. Updated email addresses

  2. Removed Rejects email address

  3. First published.

Sign up for emails or print this page