Find a specific tree pest or disease
Find out about a specific tree pest or disease, including its lifecycle, the type of damage it does, and what to do about it.
The pests and diseases listed below are either present in the United Kingdom or pose the greatest threat of entering. Some of the information is still being developed.
Tree pests in alphabetical order
- Asian longhorn beetle (Anoplophora glabripennis)
- Bronze birch borer (Agrilus anxius)
- Budworms (multiple species)
- Citrus longhorn beetle (Anoplophora chinensis)
- Eight-toothed European spruce bark beetle (Ips typographus)
- Elm zig-zag sawfly (Aproceros leucopoda)
- Emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis)
- Great spruce bark beetle (Dendroctonus micans)
- Green spruce aphid (Elatobium abietinum)
- Gypsy moth (Lymantria dispar)
- Horse chestnut leaf miner (Cameraria ohridella)
- Large pine weevil (Hylobius abietis)
- Oak lace bug (Corythucha arcuata)
- Oak pinhole borer (Platypus cylindrus)
- Oak processionary moth (Thaumetopoea processionea)
- Oriental chestnut gall wasp (Dryocosmus kuriphilus)
- Pine processionary moth (Thaumetopoea pityocampa)
- Pine-tree lappet moth (Dendrolimus pini)
- Pinewood nematode (Bursaphelenchus xylophilus)
- Red-necked longhorn beetle (Aromia bungii)
- Siberian coniferous silk moth (Dendrolimus sibiricus)
- Two-lined chestnut borer (Agrilus bilineatus)
- Two-spotted oak buprestid (Agrilus biguttatus)
Tree diseases in alphabetical order
- Acute oak decline
- Anthracnose of plane trees (Apiognomonia veneta)
- Ash dieback / Chalara ash dieback ( Hymenoscyphus fraxineus)
- Canker stain of plane (Ceratocystis platani)
- Chronic oak dieback
- Conifer root and butt rot (Heterobasidion annosum)
- Dothistroma needle blight of pine (Dothistroma septosporum)
- Dutch elm disease (Ophiostoma novo-ulmi)
- Elbow-patch crust disease of plane (Fomitiporia punctata)
- Elm yellows phytoplasma (Candidatus Phytoplasma ulmi)
- Horse chestnut bleeding canker (Pseudomonas syringae pv. aesculi)
- Massaria disease of plane trees (Splanchnonema platani)
- Neonectria disease of fir trees (Neonectria neomacrospora)
- Oak wilt (Ceratocystis fagacearum)
- Phytophthora alni of alder
- Phytophthora austrocedri
- Phytophthora kernoviae
- Phytophthora lateralis
- Phytophthora pluvialis
- Phytophthora ramorum
- Pitch canker of pine (Fusarium circinatum)
- Sirococcus blight (Sirococcus tsugae)
- Sweet chestnut blight (Cryphonectria parasitica)
- Thousand cankers disease (Geosmithia morbida)
- Xylella (Xylella fastidiosa)
Last updated 20 October 2021 + show all updates
Addition of Phytophthora pluvialis to the tree diseases section.
Information about Anthracnose of plane tree (Apiognomonia veneta) has been added to this page.
Links to information about Oak lace bug (Corythucha arcuata) and Canker stain of plane (Ceratocystis platani) have been added.
Information about the Two-lined chestnut borer (Agrilus bilineatus) has been added to this page.
Information about the the Green spruce aphid (Elatobium abietinum) has been added to this page.
Information about the Large pine weevil (Hylobius abietis) has been added to this page.
Information about Elbow-patch crust disease of plane (Fomitiporia punctate) has been added to this page.
Links updated for: ash dieback, plane tree wilt and budworms.
Information about the Red-necked longhorn beetle (Aromia bungii) has been added to this page.