Advice and financial support for exporters who want to research new markets.
The Export Marketing Research Scheme gives your company free independent advice on how to carry out marketing research. It can help you decide if you should export to a new market, and advise you on how best to deliver products and services. It can also provide financial support for your marketing research project in certain circumstances.
How the service works
Working with a UKTI consultant, you can receive advice on:
- how to get the most out of a marketing research project
- locating and briefing market research agencies and evaluating their proposals and reports
- carrying out desk research, planning field trips and conducting interviews
- analysing data and drawing conclusions
There are 3 categories of marketing research the scheme can help you with:
- In-house - help for overseas marketing research studies conducted by a member of your staff.
- Agency - support for marketing research projects conducted by professional market research agencies.
- Published market reports - help with buying market research reports which are available ‘off the shelf’ - but not directories, economic/country overviews or updating subscriptions.
You may be eligible for a grant of up to 50% of the cost of the work of an Export Marketing Research project, payable on its completion.
Grants are usually paid out within 28 days of receiving:
- a satisfactory marketing research report
- a completed claim form
- relevant receipts
The benefits of the Export Marketing Research Scheme for your business are:
- an increase in your confidence and competence in conducting and using marketing research
- help and encouragement for your business when carrying out overseas marketing research before developing a strategy for market entry
- ensures your company carries out or commissions marketing research based on sound methods
- an understanding of the discipline and benefits of marketing research in the exporting process
All exporters are eligible for advice under the Export Marketing Research Scheme.
Financial support is also available to companies with between 5 and 250 employees and who also:
- have products and services which have a proven track record of at least 2 years
- want to research a specific market for these products and services
- have not already commissioned the market research or purchased the published report
There are restrictions on the amount of support available to a company in a 12 month period.
How to apply
Applications for the Export Marketing Research Scheme must be made at least 28 days before the proposed overseas research is due to start.
The UKTI team can give you more information and advice on the application process. To find out more about the scheme contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 0845 034 2111 or talk to your local International Trade team
Find out how the Export Marketing Research Scheme has helped companies increase their export capabilities:
- Phonic Books increases exports by 25% following market research
- UKTI helps BCS Autobox research and establish a presence in Japan
- Export Marketing Research Scheme helps PMA plan for China