Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Consistent financial reporting framework (CFR)
A framework to help schools to collect information about their income and expenditure.
This guidance applies to maintained schools and pupil referral units and is for:
- local authority finance officers
- school finance officers
- business managers
It is optional for nurseries and non-maintained special schools.
The consistent financial reporting (CFR) framework provides a standard template for schools to collect information about their income and expenditure by financial years, which maintained schools provide to their local authorities in a financial statement each year.
Financial statements must be in line with the approved headings set out in the The Consistent Financial Reporting (England) Regulations 2012.
The guidance provides definitions for each CFR code set out in the regulations.
Financial statements include:
- school resources received in a financial year, including any unspent at the end of the previous year
- the application of any school resources
- a summary of the school’s financial position at the end of the year
The information supports benchmarking and enables governors and local authorities to produce simple reports. The financial benchmarking website enables comparisons of school income and expenditure profiles with similar schools.
Consistent financial reporting framework: 2016 to 2017
PDF, 437KB, 39 pages
Consistent financial reporting framework: 2015 to 2016
PDF, 454KB, 37 pages
MS Word Document, 4.86MB
MS Word Document, 2.49MB
Published: 21 April 2015
Updated: 23 March 2016
- Updated with COLLECT instruction guides for 2015 to 2016 for schools and local authorities
- Updated to add the consistent financial reporting (CFR) framework guidance for 2016 to 2017 financial year.
- First published.
From: Education Funding Agency