How local authorities should collect and submit admission appeals data from all community and voluntary-controlled schools in their area.
Applies to England
The school admission appeals data collection (also known as APAD) is a statutory data collection that local authorities submit to us every January. You must complete statutory collections by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
Deadlines for the 2022 collection:
- admission appeals deadline: Wednesday 1 September 2021
- collection opens: Monday 10 January 2022
- deadline for submitting data: Friday 21 January 2022
What data to collect and submit
The collection gathers information about appeals that parents have asked for (lodged) before 1 September because their child was not admitted to their preferred school.
It only covers community and voluntary-controlled primary and secondary schools (including middle-deemed schools). For each phase, you must report:
- the total number of lodged appeals
- the total number of heard appeals
- appeal outcomes
If a community and voluntary-controlled school is in the process of converting to an academy, you should only include them if they are still under local authority control on spring school census day (Thursday 20 January 2022).
Submit your data
You’ll need to:
- register and log in with DfE Sign-in
- use COLLECT to submit your data
Contact your school or local authority approver if:
- you want to request a DfE Sign-in username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘school admission appeals (APAD)’ is not on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
Get help using DfE Sign-in
If you do not know who your approver is, use the DfE Sign-in request form.
If you’ve forgotten your password, use DfE Sign-in to reset it. You will need to click ‘Start now’ and then the ‘I’ve forgotten my password’ link.
Data collection documents
Our guidance will help you complete the collection:
Help submitting data
Use the service request form if you have any questions about your data.
Ensure you have:
- checked the data collection enquiry button
- selected ‘appeal against admissions’ in the drop-down menu
Use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.