Claim a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme

If you're self-employed or a member of a partnership and have been adversely affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) use this scheme if you're eligible to claim the grant.

Use this online service to:

  • check if you’re eligible
  • get a date you can make a claim from
  • make your claim

What you’ll need

You’ll need your:

  • Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) - if you do not have this find out how to get your lost UTR
  • National Insurance number - if you do not have this find out how to get your lost National Insurance number
  • Government Gateway user ID and password - if you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you make your claim
  • UK bank details (only provide bank account details where a Bacs payment can be accepted) including:

    • bank account number
    • sort code
    • name on the account
    • your address linked to your bank account

How to claim

You must make the claim yourself. Your tax agent or adviser must not claim on your behalf as this will trigger a fraud alert, and you will have to contact HMRC. This will cause a significant delay to you receiving your payment.

You’ll have to confirm to HMRC that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus.

You should not claim the grant if you’re a limited company or operating a trade through a trust.

Online services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any problems with this service.

HMRC will check claims and take appropriate action to withhold or recover payments found to be dishonest or inaccurate.

Start now

If you’re unable to claim online you should contact HMRC for help.

Return to your claim

You can check the status of your payment.

After you’ve claimed

We will check your claim and pay your grant into your bank account in the next 6 working days. We will send an email when your payment is on its way.

If you think the grant amount is wrong

We have used the information you or your tax agent or adviser sent us on your Self Assessment tax returns to work out your grant amount.

If you think the grant amount is wrong, you should check how much you’ll get or contact your tax agent or adviser for help.

If you still think the grant amount is wrong, you or your agent can ask HMRC to review your grant amount.

You or your agent will need:

  • your grant claim reference
  • your National Insurance number
  • the Unique Taxpayer Reference you used on your claim
  • details about why you think the grant amount is wrong
  • the Government Gateway user ID you used to make a claim

If you’re a tax agent or adviser asking for a review on your client’s behalf, you must use your own Government Gateway user ID.

You may also need the figures we gave you in the grant calculation when you made your claim.

Record keeping and reporting

You must keep a copy of all records in line with normal self-employment record keeping requirements, including:

  • the amount claimed
  • the claim reference number

You should also keep any evidence that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus such as:

  • business accounts showing a reduction in turnover
  • confirmation of any coronavirus-related business loans you have received
  • dates your business had to close due to lockdown restrictions
  • dates you or your staff were unable to work due to coronavirus symptoms, shielding or caring responsibilities due to school closures

You will need to report the grant:

The grant should be treated as income received on the day it’s paid for any Universal Credit claims or tax credit changes.

Contacting HMRC

You should first check the other support available to you.

We are receiving very high numbers of calls. Contacting HMRC unnecessarily puts our essential public services at risk during these challenging times.

But you can contact HMRC if you cannot get the help you need online.

Published 13 May 2020