Everything rural businesses need to know about the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) in 2018
How to check and change your hedge information
This guidance explains how to check the information RPA holds about hedges on your land and what to do if you need to make changes.
Apply for BPS 2018
You can now apply for BPS 2018. Apply before midnight on 15 May 2018 – but why wait? Sign in at www.gov.uk/rural-payments and start now.
Scheme rules and guidance
You can find the scheme rules and everything you need below – including guidance about how to apply online. If you applied using a paper application form for BPS in 2016 and 2017, RPA will post your application pack soon.
Apply for the Countryside Stewardship (CS) Arable Offer. If you apply after you’ve submitted your BPS 2018 application, your BPS online receipt will contain information about the CS Arable Offer. Find out more about the Arable Offer or request a pre-application pack on GOV.UK.
Rural Payments service - view your hedges
You can see information about any hedges that have been mapped on your land parcels in the Rural Payments service. For more information click the Help link in the ‘Parcel details’ screen.
Add land by email
You can add land to your business by sending an email to RPA. For more information read Add land to your business section below.
What’s changed for BPS 2018
There are changes to the following rules:
- Active farmer
- Young farmer
For more information read page 1 in the Basic Payment Scheme: rules for 2018 below.
Scheme rules and other guidance
- find out how the scheme works
- shows important dates in the BPS scheme year
Other guidance and forms you may need:
Check your digital land maps
Read how to check and change your hedge information.
Read how to check your digital land maps before you request any changes.
If you do need to make changes, read the RLE1 guidance to find out when to use the RLE1 form to make changes to your land or transfer entitlements, if you can’t use the Rural Payments service to do this.
Guidance to help you apply for BPS
- gives information about applying using the Rural Payments service
- use this checklist to remind you what you need to check, change and confirm, before you submit your application in the Rural Payments service
- gives an overview of the most common problems and where to find more information in the ‘How to claim BPS online’ guidance above
- gives information about using the BP5 application form to apply
Continuation booklets (for paper applications):
Add land to your business
You can add land (that is already registered with RPA) to your business in the Rural Payments service by sending an email to email@example.com. Please use the subject heading ‘BPS 2018 Add land’. The email must be sent from an email address registered to the business in the Rural Payments service. Include in the email:
- the SBI and ‘Business name’ the land is to be added to
- the land parcel reference numbers (OS Sheet reference numbers and parcel IDs) for the land you want to add
- your name and contact number in case more information is needed
RPA must receive your request by 5 May 2018 to make sure the land parcels are added before the 15 May BPS application deadline. You’ll receive confirmation by email when the land has been added, and shortly after that you’ll be able to see the land parcels in the ‘View land’ and ‘Land use’ screens.
Payment queries from previous years
If you have a query about a previous BPS payment that you’ve received, please fill in a BPS payment query form and send it to RPA. Then carry on with your 2018 application, declaring your land as it is on 15 May 2018.
Rural Payments service
You can use the Rural Payments service to:
- register for rural payments
- update your personal and business details
- give someone else (like an agent) permission to act on your behalf
- view your BPS 2018 application summary
- apply for BPS 2018
- view your BPS entitlements
- transfer entitlements to use in the BPS 2018 scheme year
- view and print digital maps of your land parcels
- transfer or remove land
- change land use
- update rights for common land
- view your previous year’s claim
- apply for Countryside Stewardship, including the Arable Offer.
Forgotten your online password?
If you’re logging in with a Customer Reference Number (CRN) and have forgotten your password, you can create a new one from the sign-in page.
Click ‘Having trouble signing in?’ then ‘create a new one’.
If you can’t remember your CRN, call RPA on 03000 200 301.
How to use the Rural Payments service – help is available
Onscreen ‘Help’ in the service to guide you if you get stuck. Or you can read and print a copy of all the
Our videos also show you how to use the service.
Planned maintenance of the Rural Payments service
There are times when the Rural Payments service is unavailable because of essential planned maintenance and updates. Check Rural Payments: registering and updating your details to keep up to date about availability of the Rural Payments service.
The centres will open on 1 May and close on 15 May. They will accept fully completed BPS application forms and supporting documents, and provide receipts for them. The centres are at the main RPA sites:
Eden Bridge House
Newcastle Business Park
Newcastle upon Tyne
North Gate House
21 - 23 Valpy Street
1 - 2, Peasholme Green
Opening times are Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays).
Helpline 03000 200 301