Everything rural businesses need to know about the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) in 2018
Wet weather derogation announced
George Eustice, Minister of State, has announced a relaxation (derogation) of the crop diversification rules following the recent wet weather. Read more information about the derogation.
BPS applications are closed
You can no longer make a BPS application for 2018.
Rural Payments service
Some parts of the service are unavailable, so you cannot make changes which may affect your 2018 application. Read more about what you can do using the Rural Payments service.
Apply for the Countryside Stewardship (CS) Arable Offer. Find out more about the Arable Offer on GOV.UK.
Scheme rules and other guidance
- find out how the scheme works
- shows important dates in the BPS scheme year
Other guidance and forms:
- BPS 2018 land use codes
- for ‘crop diversification’
- The guide to cross compliance in England 2018
- gives information about applying using the Rural Payments service
- use this checklist to remind you what you need to check, change and confirm, before you submit your application in the Rural Payments service
- gives an overview of the most common problems and where to find more information in the ‘How to claim BPS online’ guidance above
- gives information about using the BP5 application form to apply
Continuation booklets (for paper applications):
Payment queries from previous years
If you have a query about a previous BPS payment that you’ve received, please fill in a BPS payment query form and send it to RPA. Then carry on with your 2018 application, declaring your land as it is on 15 May 2018.
Rural Payments service
You can use the Rural Payments service to:
- register for rural payments
- update your personal and business details
- give someone else (like an agent) permission to act on your behalf
- view your BPS 2018 application summary
- view your BPS entitlements
- view and print digital maps of your land parcels
- view your previous year’s claim
- apply for Countryside Stewardship, including the Arable Offer.
At the moment you cannot:
- transfer entitlements
- transfer or remove land
- edit land use online
- add or delete commons rights
- apply for BPS
Forgotten your online password?
If you’re logging in with a Customer Reference Number (CRN) and have forgotten your password, you can create a new one from the sign-in page.
Click ‘Having trouble signing in?’ then ‘create a new one’.
If you can’t remember your CRN, call RPA on 03000 200 301.
How to use the Rural Payments service – help is available
Onscreen ‘Help’ in the service to guide you if you get stuck. Or you can read and print a copy of all the
Our videos also show you how to use the service.
Planned maintenance of the Rural Payments service
There are times when the Rural Payments service is unavailable because of essential planned maintenance and updates. Check Rural Payments: registering and updating your details to keep up to date about availability of the Rural Payments service.
Helpline 03000 200 301