Everything rural businesses need to know about the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) in 2017 including how to apply.
March 2017 – Welcome to BPS 2017 - apply now!
You can now apply for BPS 2017. You can transfer land and entitlements online too.
The deadline is midnight on 15 May 2017 – but why wait? Go to www.gov.uk/rural-payments to sign in and start now.
You can find the scheme rules and everything you need below – including guidance about how to apply online.
If you applied on paper last year, and were not represented by an agent, you will have received a paper application pack.
Scheme rules and other guidance
- Basic Payment Scheme: rules for 2017 (PDF, 3.23MB, 118 pages)
- find out how the scheme works
Other guidance and forms you may need
- Active farmer readmission: accountant certificate
- Rural Payments: land use codes
Greening workbook for 2017 (PDF, 287KB, 10 pages)
- The guide to cross compliance in England 2017
Winter varieties of Brassica crops for ‘crop diversification’ (PDF, 112KB, 3 pages)
- Young and new farmer form (PDF, 231KB, 8 pages) (including applications for entitlements) and guidance on completing the Young and new farmer form (PDF, 669KB, 11 pages)
Read the RLE1 form and guidance if you need to use an RLE1 form to change your online maps, or to transfer entitlements by paper.
Guidance to help you apply
- How to claim BPS online in 2017 (PDF, 3.26MB, 46 pages) gives extra information about claiming online
- How to apply using a paper form (PDF, 645KB, 60 pages) gives extra information about applying on paper
- Not applied online before? (PDF, 2.49MB, 2 pages) leaflet gives paper customers information to help apply online
BP5 continuation booklet – Part C: Field data sheet (PDF, 171KB, 12 pages)
BP5 continuation booklet – Part D: Greening: ecological focus areas (EFA) (PDF, 174KB, 8 pages)
BP5 continuation booklet – Part E: Common land grazing rights (PDF, 162KB, 8 pages)
Payment queries from previous years
If you have a query about a BPS 2015 or BPS 2016 payment that you’ve received, please fill in a BPS payment query form and send it to RPA. Then carry on with your 2017 application, declaring your land as it is at 15 May 2017.
Rural Payments service
You can use the Rural Payments service to do more than just apply:
- Register for rural payments
- View your BPS 2017 application summary
- Apply for BPS 2017
- Update your personal and business details
- Give someone else (like an agent) permission to act on your behalf
- View your BPS entitlements
- Transfer your BPS entitlements
- See and print digital maps of your land parcels
- Transfer your land parcels
Forgotten your online password?
If you’re logging in with a Customer Reference Number (CRN) and have forgotten your password, you can create a new one from the sign-in page.
Click ‘Having trouble signing in?’ then ‘create a new one’.
If you can’t remember your CRN, call RPA on 03000 200 301.
How to use the Rural Payments service – help is available
There’s help onscreen in the service to guide you if you get stuck (you can also download a copy of the onscreen help (PDF, 2.39MB, 54 pages) )
Last year’s video tutorials - showing how to use the service - are also still available.
Planned maintenance of the Rural Payments service
There will be times when the Rural Payments service is unavailable because of essential planned maintenance and updates.
Check ‘Rural Payments: registering and updating your details’ to keep updated about availability of the Rural Payments service.
The centres will open on 3 April to accept fully completed forms and supporting documents, and provide receipts for them.
Opening times are Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays) and extended up until midnight on 15 May only.
The centres are located at the main RPA sites.
Eden Bridge House
North Gate House
21 - 23 Valpy Street
1 - 2, Peasholme Green
Helpline 03000 200 301
Published: 23 August 2016
Updated: 20 April 2017
- Not applied online before leaflet added
- Easter and bank holiday opening hours published
- New and Young Farmer guidance and form updated
- Added Maize and Mangosteen to the eligible crop list within the BPS 2017 scheme rules
- Launch of BPS 2017 on 1 March, including publication of BPS scheme rules for 2017 and associated forms and guidance.
- Updated with a reminder about what BPS applicants can do now - in advance of applications being available in early March.
- Updated with link to the newly published 2017 cross compliance rules.
- Updated with important information about the 2017 scheme year - including the scheme rules and how to apply.
- First published.