Everything rural businesses need to know about the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) in 2017 including how to apply.
13 October - the Rural Payments Agency may ask some farmers to confirm their ‘active farmer’ status for BPS 2017. Guidance and a copy of the ‘active farmer certificate’ are available on GOV.UK.
The euro exchange rate for calculating BPS 2017 payments has been set. The rate, which is an average of the European Central Bank exchange rates set in September, will be €1 = 0.89470.
14 August - updates to digital maps on the Rural Payments service
The Rural Payments Agency (RPA) is making a number of updates to digital maps, starting in August 2017 through into autumn 2017. For more information on these updates please see the RLE1 page.
To view your individual land parcels, go to: www.ruralpayments.service.gov.uk/. From the ‘Business overview’ screen, click ‘Land’ then ‘View land’.
We will use these land updates to calculate BPS 2017 payments.
10 June - deadline for RPA to receive BPS 2017 applications has passed
RPA can no longer accept any BPS 2017 applications as the last date for submitting a late application for BPS 2017 (midnight on 9 June) has now passed.
This means it is no longer possible to use the Rural Payments service to:
- edit land use
- add or delete common rights
- make an active farmer declaration for BPS 2017
RPA will let you know when you can do this for BPS 2018.
From 15 May, it was not possible to:
transfer entitlements to use in the BPS 2017 scheme year – either online or using an RLE1 form
transfer land using the Rural Payment service (You can use an RLE1 form for land changes during the BPS 2017 scheme year, as long as the land was at your disposal on 15 May)
RPA will let you know when you can do this for BPS 2018 using the Rural Payments service, so you don’t need to send an RLE1 form.
Scheme rules and other guidance
- Basic Payment Scheme: rules for 2017 (PDF, 4.33MB, 118 pages)
- find out how the scheme works
Other guidance and forms you may need
- Active farmer certificate
- Active farmer readmission: accountant certificate
- Rural Payments: land use codes
Greening workbook for 2017 (PDF, 287KB, 10 pages)
- The guide to cross compliance in England 2017
Winter varieties of Brassica crops for ‘crop diversification’ (PDF, 112KB, 3 pages)
- Young and new farmer form (PDF, 231KB, 8 pages) (including applications for entitlements) and guidance on completing the Young and new farmer form (PDF, 669KB, 11 pages)
Read the RLE1 form and guidance if you need to use an RLE1 form to change your online maps, or to transfer entitlements by paper.
Guidance to help you apply
- How to claim BPS online in 2017 (PDF, 3.26MB, 46 pages) gives extra information about claiming online
- How to apply using a paper form (PDF, 907KB, 60 pages) gives extra information about applying on paper
- Not applied online before? (PDF, 2.49MB, 2 pages) leaflet gives paper customers information to help apply online
- BPS 2017: Hints and tips (PDF, 1MB, 24 pages) to help you make your application
BP5 continuation booklet – Part C: Field data sheet (PDF, 171KB, 12 pages)
BP5 continuation booklet – Part D: Greening: ecological focus areas (EFA) (PDF, 174KB, 8 pages)
BP5 continuation booklet – Part E: Common land grazing rights (PDF, 162KB, 8 pages)
Payment queries from previous years
If you have a query about a BPS 2015 or BPS 2016 payment that you’ve received, please fill in a BPS payment query form and send it to RPA. Then carry on with your 2017 application, declaring your land as it is at 15 May 2017.
Rural Payments service
You can use the Rural Payments service to:
- Register for rural payments
- View your BPS 2017 application summary
- Update your personal and business details
- Give someone else (like an agent) permission to act on your behalf
- View your BPS entitlements
- See and print digital maps of your land parcels
Forgotten your online password?
If you’re logging in with a Customer Reference Number (CRN) and have forgotten your password, you can create a new one from the sign-in page.
Click ‘Having trouble signing in?’ then ‘create a new one’.
If you can’t remember your CRN, call RPA on 03000 200 301.
How to use the Rural Payments service – help is available
There’s help onscreen in the service to guide you if you get stuck (you can also download a copy of the onscreen help (PDF, 2.45MB, 55 pages) )
Planned maintenance of the Rural Payments service
There will be times when the Rural Payments service is unavailable because of essential planned maintenance and updates.
Check ‘Rural Payments: registering and updating your details’ to keep updated about availability of the Rural Payments service.
Helpline 03000 200 301
Published: 23 August 2016
Updated: 14 October 2017
- Link to Active farmer certificate and guidance page added
- Latest news - the euro exchange rate for BPS 2017 payments has been set.
- Updated Latest News with 'The Rural Payments helpline will close on Friday 25 August at 5pm and reopen on Tuesday 29 August at 8.30am.'
- Update to latest news to include: 14 August - updates to digital maps on the Rural Payments service.
- Deadline for RPA to receive BPS applications has passed. Some functions on Rural Payments have been switched off.
- Added Spring Bank holiday opening times
- Update to text about Changing an application after you've submitted it.
- Updates to 'latest news' section - it's not too late, you can still apply for BPS; and to information about transferring land and entitlements online. Information included about changing an application after it's been submitted. Information updated about drop-in centres.
- Reminder about the application deadline for BPS 2017.
- Slight formatting changes to BPS 2017: Hints and tips document
- BPS 2017: Hints and tips document added
- Updated opening times for Drop in centres and Contact centre for weekends of application period
- Not applied online before leaflet added
- Easter and bank holiday opening hours published
- New and Young Farmer guidance and form updated
- Added Maize and Mangosteen to the eligible crop list within the BPS 2017 scheme rules
- Launch of BPS 2017 on 1 March, including publication of BPS scheme rules for 2017 and associated forms and guidance.
- Updated with a reminder about what BPS applicants can do now - in advance of applications being available in early March.
- Updated with link to the newly published 2017 cross compliance rules.
- Updated with important information about the 2017 scheme year - including the scheme rules and how to apply.
- First published.